Just a quick thought on this day. I have always been inspired by the amount of courage and determination it took black people to stand up and fight for their basic rights in this country. I almost hesitate in reading accounts of these fights, because it makes me sad to point of tears.
Today with the boys I read a story about Jackie Robinson, and we read part of a longer book about Martin Luther King, Jr. The boys got a kick out of some of the antics of his childhood and were appropriately appalled at the injustices he faced. I had to hold back the tears as I read parts of the book, and, even now, the tears are forming in my eyes.
I think about what it meant for these courageous people to make a change, and how they couldn't know how much their actions would effect us today. My family in particular. My children truly are a product of their faith and hope, their love and their utter determination to make America a better place for themselves and their own children. I get sad when I think about the hatred, the death, the utter evilness that gripped this country and how it is still manifested today. That it just moves from one form to another, never really going away. I have hope, though, in the healing power of love and the other fruits of the Spirit and place my faith in a God that has made us all in His own image.
So today, as every other day, my heart is heavy for the injustices and tragedy (both natural and man-made) that continue to occur throughout the world. Yet my load is made lighter by knowing I can make a difference by loving, by standing up for what is right, and by not turning the other way when an injustice is being done.
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go." Joshua 1:9
May all of us remember the love of our Father and the remarkable strength He has created in all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment