Friday, January 29, 2010

Coconut Chicken Chili

Well, I tried a new recipe. This is big for me because although I love to eat, I find planning and preparing 3 meals a day gets a little overwhelming and normally stick with the foods I know will get eaten. ANYWAY!

I found this absolutely yummy looking recipe for Coconut Chicken Chili in Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I grabbed a can of coconut milk (minus the preservatives, thank you Hyvee) at the store because that was the one thing I remember seeing that I knew I didn't have. When I actually got ready to make it, I realized I didn't have about half the ingredients.

No ginger? No problem.

No black pepper? There was already chili powder AND cayenne pepper, so I figured we wouldn't miss it.

No green onions, so I just made due with the last half of a sweet onion.

Minced fresh garlic? Had some garlic cloves but was to lazy to mince it, so I used garlic powder.

No white beans. Probably wouldn't taste good in there anyway.

No jalapenos or basil to garnish the soup---fine because it was just me and the kids eating anyway.

This is what went into the soup
Cubed chicken breast
Onion
Olive oil
Water
Coconut milk
Peanut butter
Carrots
Celery
Garlic powder
Cayenne pepper
Chili powder
Salt
Flour

I served this over hot Jasmine rice and we had green beans as well. One of the best meals I have ever had! Of course, my enthusiasm for the new dish was lost on the kids.

Here is what J the Great says when he sees it: "This looks like poop. And I don't eat poop."

To which I answer: "When have you ever seen poop that color?" He is just so ornery!

To their credit, they did eat all the meat, and Mr. J loved the carrots and celery. I told them they didn't have to eat it, but if they wanted a snack before bedtime, they must clear their plates. It worked. Guess it wasn't as bad as they thought.

No comments: